The first thing I learned about Plein Air painting is that preparation is key! I didn't venture beyond my front porch, as just moving all of my materials from my studio was quite the effort!
Here are the essential supplies you need to get outdoors and paint:
- a portable easel (mine is a Julian French Box Easel)
- a jar with a tight lid for your turpentine
- an empty can to hold turpentine while you paint
- a bottle with pour spout for linseed oil mix
- paints,brushes, and palette
- canvas or painting surface (I used Fredrix canvas paper)
- roll of paper towels and plastic grocery bag for trash and cleanup
- SUN PROTECTION!! sunscreen, hat, umbrella...
- something to carry wet paintings (see Artmate Wet Canvas Carrier)