Pin It

Widgets

This week I started a brand new project, writing my first Ebook. An Ebook, or electronic book, is a book that exists as a file on your computer (often a PDF).  The advantage of this is that it allows books to be published more quickly than traditional print books, and it encourages new authors to share their expertise without waiting to be picked up by a publisher. Information in Ebooks can be more up to date, and address a smaller niche market than traditional print books.  They also have the benefit of being easily portable, not using paper or shelf space, until the reader decides to print any portion of the book!  New to this medium, I have signed up to take a class from the ever-inspiring Diane Gilleland, author of CraftyPod.  Having just revamped our computer systems here at Elysian Studios, I am in the process of installing, syncing and learning new programs that will help our studio communicate ideas more efficiently and effectively.  I have always dreamed of writing books, so I hope this first publishing adventure won't be my last!

I am in the research stage at this point, and feel my knowledge base is steeped most in Art and Art History.  Though my subject is fairly set, I would like to ask a few questions of my audience, and appreciate any opinions you may have that might be beyond the scope of the questions I provided!  If you leave a comment, you will be entered in a chance to win a $10 Starbucks gift card!  I will select a winner at random on Mon. January 17.  Nothing goes better with a book than a cozy beverage!

Have you ever purchased or downloaded an Ebook?  Were you happy with it, and why/why not?

If you haven't bought an Ebook, do you think you could see yourself buying one, as opposed to a print book?  What would be the deciding factor?

Based on the topics you have seen Elysian Studios cover, is there anything you would like to learn more about?

Don't forget to leave a comment for a chance to win a $10 Starbucks gift card....yum!

And the winner is: MY LIFE UNDER THE BUS
Thank you all so much for participating!

16 Responses so far.

1. Dee says:

I've purchased ebooks before but I so much prefer printed copies! :) Old school!

deeg131 at gmail dot com

2. Lisa says:

Hi There!

I've both purchased eBooks and downloaded others that were offered for free. In each instance I've been very happy reading on my desktop or laptop. The biggest benefits for me were the immediacy of getting the content, and the addition of hotlinks in the text.

Most of the eBooks I read are business related (art instruction, career) so being at my computer isn't a stretch, but I've also tried out the Kindle app on my laptop to read for entertainment. I found it comfortable enough to read The Secret Garden that way, and I didn't miss having a paper volume. I still love the tactile experience of reading a paper book, especially if there are visual references (thinking art books) but I think with the portability of laptops or eReaders the difference is being minimized.

-Lisa

3. Kim says:

I have an e-reader, and I've purchased pdf format ebooks to use on my computer as well. I love the ability to actually hold the book in my hands, however they take up much less room on my computer, so I would prefer to buy an ebook when I can. I do agree with Lisa's comment above regarding the art books. I will still continue to buy any of those as actual books.
    Kim

4. No, I never have. I couldn't see myself doing this over a printed book. I just love the idea of an actual book so much better.
    I would love to learn more about art in the home.
    aubreyfick@yahoo.com

5. I won't purchase e books because I like to have the book in my hand....just old fashioned I guess! maybe if I could afford a nook or kindle.... lilcherrygirl at hotmail dot com

6. I have purchased ebooks and also got ones for free. I like the immediacy of it, especially if it is technique based. If it is techniques, clear step by step pictures are a must. I think that a well organized book no matter the topic is key. And make sure your personal style come through. I want to know that this is the same person whose blog I enjoy! Think of it like having a conversation with me, not preachy. Good luck! Enjoy the day!
    Erin

7. Some great comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

8. Dee says:

Hi Erin,

To add to my comment:

I'm not opposed to e-books but it's just there's something pleasant about holding an official piece of literature in your hand with tangible book art and smell of fresh paper. :)

deeg131 at gmail dot com

9. Another exciting adventure for you in 2011! I have never purchased an Ebook, but I would consider it. I guess I've never really looked into buying one. One of my very favorite things to do is go book shopping at Barnes and Noble (coffee in hand of course) so I guess that is my first choice for book shopping. I think I would buy an Ebook if it were not available in print.
    Whatever you choose to write about will be wonderful; art, design, family...you have a good head on your shoulders...can't go wrong with that!

GOOD LUCK!

10. Oh how exciting!!! I have never purchased an e-book. Mostly because my old computer was on life support and I didn't want anything to push it over the edge. That said I would be interested in tutorial type downloads but my heart belongs to hard copy books. I like to go back again and again and reread things and still carry in the back of my head that computers crash and all that precious info would be lost.....now I feel like an old lady ...lol!

11. Jennifer Higby Art says:

I have never purchased an E Book. You should see my books by the time I'm done reading them... BEAT UP! With two kids and a busy busy schuedule, i would be afraid to see what an E reader would look like!

12. mari says:

I've purchased a few ebooks, all of them instructional, around 70-80 pages apiece. Some had accompanying videos or audio files, mostly to show some kind of process. Or, they were interviews with people that the author thought would be useful to the reader in gaining additional insight to the topic. I haven't tried the Kindle yet, but considered getting one recently when we were traveling and out of the country for nearly a month.

13. I have downloaded free ebooks onto my iPhone, maybe I'll get an iPad for my birthday and really get into it!

14. Last year my husband was dead set against any of the new ebook readers - by this year, he changed his tune and I got him a Nook for his birthday. It is much more convenient for his 4-hour daily commute than carrying around books - especially big, fat heavy books. He really likes it.

I've never purchased an ebook, but now thinking about it. I usually like to read paper books - take notes, flip back and forth between pages, especially for instructional books.

Have you heard of Vooks? Combo ebook with embedded video - promising.

Good luck with your ebook!

15. Thank you all so much for your comments! They were very helpful!
    Sincerely,
    Erin

16. IT"S ALL MINE...MINE....MINE...ahem....I mean thank you!